Activated Respite: COVID-19 Isolation
Activated Respite provides motel rooms for people experiencing homelessness with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 via active symptoms or a positive COVID test within the last 10 days.
Active Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Fever (Feeling feverish or temperature >100.0 F)
- Difficulty Breathing/Shortness of Breath
- Loss of Taste or Sense of Smell
- Motel room provided for those who are unable to isolate due to currently sheltering in group environments, such as congregate shelters or encampments
- Double-occupancy rooms (most likely 1 roommate)
- Meals provided
- Low-acuity health monitoring and support for COVID-19 symptoms
- Limited day-time on-site integrated health support provided by the Coalition
- 24/7 on-site operational support provided by Salvation Army and safety staff
- Length of stay is determined by CDC Isolation Guidelines and health care staff expertise, and is only related to COVID symptoms or status
- This is a voluntary program; clients may decline admission or leave mid-program. Please inform your client/patient they will have difficulty accessing any homeless services for a 10-day period, including food and shelter resources with a COVID-19 positive test.
Activated Respite does not provide services for the following:
- Repeat Positives (within 90 days)
- Traditional or Medical Respite, that referral form is located here:
- Quarantine (Close Contacts, Cold Symptoms)
- High-Acuity Clients who are not safe living independently in a motel setting.
To be eligible for admission, a client or patient must:
- Currently experiencing homelessness and unable to isolate
- Reside in Denver County, or is referred by a service provider/hospital partner in Denver County or has a contract with Denver County
- Has documentation of either new or worsened symptoms of COVID-19 within the last 2 weeks OR has a positive test result within the last 10 days
- Independent with ADLS (able to remain safe alone and get around on their own) and able to ask for help if needed
- Able to self-administer all medications
- Medically stable and have low acuity needs
The Activated Respite Referral Form is available HERE
- Referrals are processed seven days a week from 8:00am – 5:00pm by Integrated Health Care team member
- For referrals submitted between 8:00am-5:00pm on weekends, call the CCH Patient Assistance Line 303-312-9800 after submitting referral form
- Assessment of COVID-19 symptoms or test results, as well as client/patient safety criteria are considered for admission
- Client/patient’s verbal consent required
Quick Discharge & Referral Planning Checklist:
- Patient must have a COVID-19 test performed and positive or pending.
- Oxygen must be coordinated by hospitals before discharge.
- Patient must have all mediations sent with them, including a 48-hours supply filled by hospital resource/pharmacy.
- No high-acuity medical care, high-acuity behavioral/psych concerns, or active/impending substance withdrawal
For detailed information, refer to the Hospital and Testing Site Protocol for Activated Respite Referrals Guide for details HERE.
Note: If the patient is determined to be unsafe for low acuity respite in a motel room, the patient will be transported back to the sending facility.
Shelter Service Provider Planning:
- Encourage mask wearing for both client & staff
- Wash your hands and wear gloves if available when assisting client or their belongings
- Have the client isolate in a separate room if available, or at least social distance 6-12 feet away from others while waiting for transportation
- Activated Respite team will support transportation coordination; please do not arrange for your own staff or a taxi to transport client without proper personal protective equipment
For detailed information, refer to the Homeless Service Providers Activated Respite Referral Guide available HERE.
Note: If the patient is determined to be unsafe for low acuity respite in a motel room, the recommendation from the integrated health team may be to send the client to the hospital.
For questions, call the Medical Patient Assistance line Monday through Sunday between 8:00am and 5:00pm. (303) 312-9800
*If you are needing to make a non-COVID related medical respite referral, please visit our Respite Care page here>>