1. Privacy, Safety, Security2. Donating Online3. Offline Donations
4. Other Donations or Ways to Help5. Stewardship6. Tax Savings Options
7. Planned Gifts, Stocks, Property and Matching Gifts
1. Privacy, Safety, Security
• Is my donation safe and secure?To ensure your personal information is kept strictly confidential, the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless uses advanced encryption methods when transferring personal information. All financial information is passed directly and safely to our financial network for processing. Your personal information is never made available to anyone outside of our organization.
• Does the Coalition protect my privacy?
The Coalition does not sell or share your information to any company or organization. All information you provide is considered highly confidential. We will not solicit you or contact you without your permission.
BACK TO TOP
2. Donating Online
• Can I donate with my credit card?Your online credit card donation is a safe, secure, and convenient way to donate to the Coalition. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Please understand that to protect your security we require your security code (3 or 4 digit identification number on the back of your card).
• Will I receive a receipt of my donation?
With an online donation, your tax receipt arrives immediately via email. We do not share your email address. Email email@example.com to update your contact information.
• Can I make a donation in honor or in memory of another person?
Yes. You may choose a recipient for your honorary or memorial gift and we will send a courtesy card by mail if an address is provided. Please click here to make a gift.
• Can I give to a specific fund?
The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless creates lasting solutions to homelessness through a comprehensive set of programs. When you make your gift online or by phone or mail, you have the option of choosing to donate where the need is greatest or to any one of our programs. If you would like to learn more about the Coalition’s many programs, please click here.
• Can I give a sustaining, monthly gift?Monthly (on-going) giving is one of the most efficient methods of donating to the Coalition. Your on-going gift ensures the Coalition has a sustained income to maintain our programs. It is easy to set up, easy to change, and easy to terminate. Please click here or call 303.285.5227 to learn more and to begin the simple process of setting up your monthly gift.
• Can I update my information online?
Updating your contact information helps us to keep in touch with you about Coalition news, upcoming events, success stories, advocacy issues, and other important information. It also ensures that your tax receipts reach you in a timely manner. Please be assured that your information is confidential and we protect your privacy. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to update your contact information.
BACK TO TOP
3. Phone and Mail Donations
• Can I call you with my donation?Yes. Please call 303.285.5227 to speak with a Coalition Resource Development representative who can answer your questions and accept your donation.
• Can I donate by mail?If you wish to donate by mail, please use this address:
Colorado Coalition for the HomelessAttn: Resource Development
PO Box 1560
BACK TO TOP
4. Other Donations or Ways to Help
• Does the Coalition have any volunteer opportunities?
Yes. Please visit the volunteer page to learn more.
• Can I donate clothes, household items, toys, and furniture?Yes, please see the Community Drives page for more information. Due to limited storage space and the inability to pick up large items, please deliver smaller items to our main reception desk at 2111 Champa Street Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Our clients do need larger household items and furniture when they receive housing. We encourage interested donors to contact the Denver Rescue Mission at 303.297.1815 x 1020, 1021. Pickups are scheduled by zip code, weekday mornings between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. Our clients have access to the Mission’s warehouse. If you are uncertain as to whether the Coalition can accept your donation, please call our main line at 303.312.9639.
In-kind donations of $5,000 or more must be accompanied by valuation documentation.
• Can my community group raise money for the Coalition?Yes. If your group, school, church, organization, etc. wishes to host an event to benefit the Coalition or has other ways to help, please call 303.312.9639 to discuss the details. Please click here to learn more.
• Can I donate my car?Yes. The Coalition is a member of the Vehicles for Charity program. The car donation process is simple. Please call Vehicles for Charity at 303.308.2400 and tell them you would like to donate a vehicle to benefit the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless. They can coordinate the donation once you give them a location, condition of the vehicle, and the vehicle’s title (each of which is required by state law.)
• The vehicle is collected for free, and you are entitled to a tax deduction for your donation. For more information please call 303.285.5227.
5. Use of Donations
• How is my donation used?Your donation is used to support the greatest needs of the organization unless you designate it to be used by a specific program. If you wish to support a specific program, we will restrict your donation to that program. Alternatively, if you choose to give to the area of Greatest Need, the Coalition will determine which areas are most in need of financial support.
• How much of my donation goes to administration or fundraising?The Coalition’s administrative and fundraising costs are kept to just 9%, ensuring that most of your dollars go to creating lasting solutions for people experiencing homelessness. The Coalition is proud that our administrative and fundraising costs are at an absolute minimum compared to many nonprofit organizations around the country. Organizations that keep overhead costs within 20 to 25% are considered excellent.
• Can I see how my donations are making a difference?Absolutely! Please call our Resource Development office to set up a tour of our facilities and see your donations in action. Understand first-hand how your generosity changes the lives of children and adults experiencing homelessness. We are proud to show our supporters how the Coalition truly creates lasting solutions to homelessness through our comprehensive supportive housing, medical, and childcare programs. Please call 303.285.5222 to set up your tour today.
6. Tax Savings Options
• Can I receive a tax credit for my donation?
All donations to the Coalition are tax deductible provided no goods or services were received in exchange for your gift (such as tickets or food). We do have specific tax credit programs that offer greater tax incentives to donors.
• What is a tax credit?A tax credit is a reduction on the taxes you owe, in contrast to a deduction that reduces the gross income on which your taxes are calculated. The tax credit program you choose determines the credit amount.
• What tax credit programs are available?You can receive a 25% state tax credit for the Coalition programs in the Denver Enterprise Zone or Jefferson County Enterprise Zone. You can receive a 50% state tax credit for the Coalition’s Child Care programs (not available for 2012).
• What is the Enterprise Zone? Changes for 2012Enterprise Zones encourage private involvement in economically distressed areas. The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless has programs in both the Jefferson County Enterprise Zone and Denver County Enterprise Zone to create lasting solutions for homeless families and individuals. Charitable donations to the Coalition (designated to these Enterprise Zones) currently qualify for 25% state tax credits. In order to receive the Enterprise Zone tax credit in 2012, each donor must (1) provide the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless with their taxpayer identification number (i.e. FEIN, SSN, or Colorado Account Number) and (2) file their 2012 state income taxes electronically. Visit www.colorado.gov/revenueonline to request your Letter ID which will contain your Colorado Account Number.. Call (303) 285-5227 or email email@example.com with questions or to submit your taxpayer identification number.
• What is the Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Program? Temporarily suspended until 2013The Colorado Child Care Contribution Credit allows Colorado taxpayers to claim an income tax credit of 50% of their total contribution. These donations support quality child care in Colorado for children 12 years of age and younger. The Colorado Coalition for the Homeless qualifies for this state tax credit by providing exceptional child care programs. While the credit is not available in 2012, a donation made this year may be deferred and claimed when the credit is reinstated.
• Why is the Child Care Contribution Tax Credit Program not available this year?Beginning in 2011, the availability of the child care contribution credit depends on a state revenue surplus of 6% over the previous year. As a result, this credit is still not available for the 2012 tax year. Your 2012 credits may be deferred until such time as the credit is reinstated. (If sufficient growth is projected for 2013, then the credit will be available for gifts made in 2013, 2012 and 2011.) For more information, click here and look for the paragraph on "conditional availability" on page 6.
• When I donate to the Coalition, how do I take advantage of these tax credits?Please specify in the memo section of your check “Child Care Contribution” (CCC), “Denver Enterprise Zone” (DEZ), or “Jefferson County Enterprise Zone” (JEZ). If using a credit card online, simply choose that option from the drop-down list. If calling in your donation, please tell the Coalition representative. Remember, your donation only qualifies for one of these tax credits, though donations can be split between multiple tax credits.
• What documentation is provided by the Coalition as a receipt of my tax credit charitable gift?
The Coalition sends a thank you letter and form for tax purposes. The DR1317 form is sent for Child Care Tax Credit donations, and the DR0075 form is used for Enterprise Zone donations.
• Does my donation still qualify as a charitable deduction on my federal income tax?
• Is there a minimum amount for either the Enterprise Zone or the Child Care Contribution?No. All donations are greatly appreciated and there is no minimum contribution.
• Is there a maximum amount for either program?
The maximum annual tax credit allowed (per credit type) is $100,000 per contributor. Tax credits applied on your state income tax form cannot exceed your total tax liability for the year. Excess tax credits may be carried forward for up to five years.
• Do in-kind donations or donations of stock qualify for tax credit programs?
Any taxpayer who makes a monetary or in-kind contribution to a certified Denver Enterprise Zone Contribution Project may take a tax credit of up to $100,000 per tax year for cash contributions and a credit up to $50,000 for in-kind contributions. The total credit is limited to 25% for cash contributions and 12.5% for in-kind contributions. Any excess credit may be carried forward for up to 5 years. Please see the Department of Revenue’s FYI Tax Credits for Contributions to Enterprise Zone Administrators, Programs, Projects or Organizations
• If I do not itemize, can I still use the tax credits?Yes, state tax credits can be used regardless of whether you itemize.
• Can both individual donors and corporations take advantage of these tax credit programs?
Yes, both individual and corporate donors may take advantage of the tax credit programs.
7. Planned Gifts, Stocks, Property and Matching Gifts
• I’d like to consider a planned gift. Where do I start?
Planned gifts establish long-term partnerships with donors interested in securing a lasting legacy and ensuring the future of the Coalition and our programs. Please click here to learn about your planned giving options. You may also call the Resource Development department for more information 303.285.5222.
• Can I donate stocks?
Yes. We accept donations of stock and securities. Please click here to learn more.
• Can I donate property?
Yes. We do accept donations of property and in some cases the property may be eligible for an Enterprise Zone tax credit. If you are interested in donating property and learning more about tax credit eligibility, please call 303.285.5222.
• My company matches gifts. How do I prompt a matching gift payment?
Matching gift programs double the impact of your donation, and it’s easy to set up! Please acquire a matching gift form from your Accounting or Human Resources department. The Coalition completes the form and returns it to your company. You are notified when we receive a matching gift. Please submit the matching gift form to:Colorado Coalition for the HomelessAttn: Resource Development Department
PO Box 1560
80201-1560BACK TO TOP